Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is faith about having all the answers?

Last night I "attempted" to teach The Holy Trinity. I say "attempted" because The Trinity can be a challenging concept to grasp if we attempt to understand it on our terms. When we talk about The Trinity God's math doesn't add up like ours does. Three equals one and one equals three? Now I do not consider myself a math genius, and I am not embarrassed to admit that my third grader's math homework frequently challenges me more than it should, but I am pretty sure that 3 typically does not equal 1 any more than 1 equals 3. What if The Trinity is not so much about understanding and explaining but about experiencing. What if we felt OK admitting that we don't fully understand this one. What if we were comfortable saying we don't have all the answers.

We live in the age of professionals. Many of us are professionals in our own fields and quite often people come to us seeking advice, clarification and answers. Now when one of these professionals does not have the answer we are looking for this surprises us. After all they are professionals and this is what they do. I may carry the title of pastor and I may have studied theology in college and seminary for nearly a decade but that does not mean that I have all the answers because faith isn't about answers. Faith is about peace, hope and family. We may go to a family member or a parent for some advice and we certainly appreciate their wisdom but their value to us goes far beyond answers. They are our family because we share our lives with them, they share theirs with us and they are a part of our journey.

It is OK to admit you don't have all the answers because faith is not about answers. Our faith is a life long journey and we never cross that finish line until the day we transition from this world to the next. And that journey is enriched because of those that we share it with. Not because of their intelligence or wisdom but because they are a part of our lives.

Enjoy the journey.

See you in Church.

Pastor Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment